Monday, September 06, 2010

Labor Day 1971

We had just moved from Hendrix to Hermosa. Second son was senior in high school and was worried about getting to participate in sports at his old high school. I didn't have money for school clothes for P who was starting second grade.

My favorite place for fabric was TG&Y they had bolts of fabric but also a large table of remnants. I dug through them trying to find pieces large enough to make a garment. The bigger pieces were the wrong colors and prints for a little one. Grey, hunter green, and strange prints, pants were easy just like the PG pants. Tops were smocks that was the style for little girls her age.

Our new house had a screened in back porch which opened out into a walled small back yard. P was happy to play in the new backyard. I drug a card table, sewing machine,and small TV out to the screened in porch. Jerry Lewis my favorite comedian had a telethon on TV.

Labor day was spent cutting out and sewing 3 sets of pants and smocks. P spent the day in the yard and helping me watch Jerry Lewis's telethon. She wore them all year and loved them.

I wonder how we got through those years hubby was going to school and working. I was working. First son was in college and second son a senior in high school, P going into second grade. I was working and trying to keep every thing going at home. One of my favorite labor days.

I have spent this labor day digging through paper work at home trying to get things cleaned out.

No comments: