Wednesday, September 09, 2009

My profession of Faith

My boys are blogging about ancient history my story is really ancient. For some reason my Mother went to church with my friend Margie and I. This was very unusual. I was always taken to SS and picked up afterwards. I was asking questions about joining Church but no one really explained how to be saved to me. ( My grandmother helped me memorize the Lord's Prayer. I think about her every Sunday when we say it.) Anyway it was Easter Sunday and when the invitation was given my Mother ask me if I wanted to go down. So my friend Margie and I went down. I was just joining the church and I had no idea what it was really about. So and I baptized at the age of 11.

When I was about 15 or 16 I went to a church camp. I talked another girl at church in going with me. No one in the church was very interested in us going. One of the other mothers took us to camp but we didn't have a ride home. I had to call and get my folks to come after us. Mother fussed the whole way. Sunday was the only day they had off from the shop and I had interferred with it. I think I really understood what being saved ment at that camp. Where the camp was located was beautiful. I don't remember what the name of it was or where it was located. Somewhere around Denver in the mountains and the dirt single lane road through the pine was beautiful. Too bad Mother couldn't see the scenery.

When Hubby ask me to marry him I told him I definate ideas about how a family should be. We should say grace before meals and we would take kids to church not send them. Hubby told me that was find with him, he liked those ideas. He was sent to church too, on a church bus.

Hubby went off the base and joined the closest Baptist church because I was a Baptist. Well, I was baptized in a American Baptist Church and Hubby joined a Southern Baptist Church. We didn't understand the difference in those days. Hubby and I took a lot of Sunday night courses in what it means to be a Baptist. Some of the books that I used in teaching my boys came from those classes. Including the little red book "The Trail of Blood" that Bruce referrs to alot. That was in California.

Fast forward to Colorado when the boys were little we went to Denver to some kind of meeting. It was held in a Jewish Synagogue or a building that had been one. They played "I Surrender All" and I think that Hubby and I both surrendered all, at that time. I can't sing that hymn without seeing that church and crying a little. I really feel like that was when I was saved.

But as you can see God was working in my life for a lot of years before that time. I just had to understand and really surrender and surrender is a hard thing for me to do.

No comments: