Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dogs, dogs, and more dogs

I have been visiting the city animal shelters. I found a small poodle at the east side shelter Friday. They won't let me touch the dog until the 28th of the month. The dog is a stray and previous owners have until then to reclaim the dog. We got her to the edge of the cage and she licked our fingers and wagged her tail. A couple of cages down is a 9 year old beagle who keeps calling to me and wants to come home with me in the worse way. Her name is Penny. I saw both of these dogs on Friday briefly and put a $10.00 hold on the poodle.

P and L went with me on Saturday morning. We visited the west side shelter first and found a poodle that was so dirty and overgrown matted hair. We took her into a small shelter just the three of us. She shivered and shook the hold time. We got her to let us pet her she finally stopped shaking and opened her eyes. The hair was so thick and matted that I had a hard time getting it parted so she could see. They wanted us to take her home. I couldn't take her home without a trip to a doggy beauty shop no way on a Saturday.

We went up to the east side shelter and played with the poodle I have a hold on. She seems to be the best bet for the time being. The beagle talked to me again and told me how much she wanted to come home with me. P found a german shepherd that looked almost like Harvey. P could have taken him home in a heartbeat but 2 dogs, a cat, and 6 people make for a house full.

I keep worrying about the matted poodle, do I really need two dogs?

No comments: