Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 1950

I have been told I live too much in the past. Maybe I do but I remember the day the Korean War started.

Beulah, Colorado a little village, Pueblo residence had summer homes located there. I shouldn't call them summer homes more like cabins or dormitories.

My boy friend's mother had one of the larger cabins that you could call a dormitory. Upstairs there was a kitchen with benches all around the room, cushions on them for the girls. Down stairs was the boys quarters with make shift beds, wall to wall.

That June Sunday, there were 2 couples of us with his mama as chaperon. I had just graduated from high school. We were learning to play Canasta, it was the latest card game out. Mama was fixing sandwiches for us. Music was playing on the radio until the announcement of the beginning of the Korean war. I didn't know how that would change my life.

Later after I was married to a Marine and had two little boys my father had a cabin. I do mean a cabin, a room with a kitchen and couch and a bedroom with a bed and dresser. The dresser was an antique with a marble top (too bad it was sold with the cabin.) My boys spent many a summer day playing in the stream that ran beside the cabin and running up and down the mountains around the place. We took them horseback ridding, once a summer. We had to rent the horses and that was all we could afford.

My fathers cousin who we called Uncle Frank lived in a small travel trailer on a lot in the main part of town. He took the boys and I places while hubby was overseas, He had the boys looking for gold in the rocks around the little village. They found lots of fools gold.

Hubby and I went back one of the last times we were in Pueblo and the place had grown up. My fathers cabin was still there but locked up. The outhouse was now considered too close to the stream for anybody to live there.

Lots of memories tied up to Beulah and the date of Korean War brings back lots of it.

1 comment:

P M Prescott said...

Nothing wrong with remembering the past. It's how we make sense of the present and predict the future.