Monday, August 10, 2009

Former President Jimmy Carter

My trip to Oklahoma was fantastic the highlight, of course, was lunch with former President Jimmy Carter.

I flew to Oklahoma City Wednesday, Bruce picked me up at the airport. I had a relaxing time watching TV, exploring the hotel, and reading. I had a early night and spent Thursday morning with K at her hospital. She needed a ekg and I went with her. When we returned to the hotel Pat and family were just arriving. We got them settled and registered, attending the first session of Building Bridges of New Baptist Covenant. We ate dinner at a local Sonic. Tried to go the evening session the music was loud drums and guitars. That wouldn't have been so bad but the sound system was so loud that my head was throbbing with a headache and that turned to nausea. The speakers were great and I really missed hearing some of them. I had to retire to my room with more pain pills.

Friday morning started off with breakfast with Texas Baptist Committed and Mainstream Baptists. Great speakers. Morning session was on race relations a terrific video followed by a panel discussion which was exultant. I started back to the room to change clothes for the luncheon. I was met in the hall by several men in suits that wasn't unusual but the dog was. No one looked blind so why the dog. Finally it dawn on me that it was the secret service checking out the hotel. Lunch was great, I sat at a table with the Indian American Baptist preachers and spouses of Oklahoma. What a great discussion with them. I learned so much about a woman preacher not only struggling with the prejudice of Baptist but also Kiowa's against woman in that role. They were all great fans of Tony Hillerman so we had a lot in common.

When President Carter entered the room he had to shake hands with every one. When I told him my name his responds was "that's a famous name". He had been in correspondence with Bruce about the meeting for months, so of course he was familiar with the name. (Hubby would had been trilled.) After lunch and his speaking we all had our picture taken with him. Bruce is suppose to send it to me.

The afternoon meeting was terrific with President Carter speaking and the place was packed. I understand some people left after he spoke, but the rest of the program was great. We had dinner at a Arby's and returned for the last evening session. The St. John's Baptist Church's black choir was great there preacher, preached and that took me back to the days of Mt. Zion here in Albuquerque. After the meeting I spoke to the minister and he was a friend of our pastor at Mt Zion Rev. Dr. Frank Cates which is now deceased. I also meet some friends with the western CBF that hubby and use to attend regularly.

We managed to have breakfast with Bruce and K early Saturday morning before everybody had to rush off in all directions. We loaded up and left early and had a pleasant drive toward NM. The old windstar was loaded to the gills but purred down the highway like it was new.

We spend the night in Tumucari, I thought we were stopping to early but when I got out of the van I couldn't stand up. I was glad for the evening and night of just resting before we drove on in to Albuquerque. We stopped at a truck stop on the way and ran into our Lt Governor. I have known her for years, I didn't hesitate to chat with her a few minutes. She, her hubby and grandaughter had been to Tumucari. I did get a chance to introduce her to my grandaughter.

The early day home was a treat to get settled and check up on the e-mails, phone calls and mail.
Now I have to get serious about getting ready for this surgery.

No comments: